Tip: Before decorating, be sure to wipe down your flowerpots with a clean, damp towel.
Look 1: Tile
Create patterns from small bits of tile, then attach them with tile adhesive for a dazzling piece. Follow our simple tips for crafting with tile, and try this timeless look:
- If you’re only covering part of the pot, section off the area with masking tape.
- To create a particular pattern, first draw it on the pot with a pencil.
- Apply glue to the tile pieces with adhesive, then attach tiles to the pot.
- Wear rubber gloves and use a spatula or foam brush to apply grout between the tile pieces to seal them to the pot. Wipe excess grout with a damp sponge.
- Once the grout has dried overnight, use a coarse, dry sponge to clean off excess grout.
Look 2: Paint
Painting flowerpots and planters is a simple way to spruce them up. With tips and techniques that go beyond the typical coat of paint on a plain surface, you’ll create refreshed pieces that stand out.
- Cover your pots with chalkboard paint and write cute sayings or the name of the plants on it with colored chalk. This is especially handy with an herb garden.
- Stamps are the perfect way to add small, personalized touches to any pot.
- Add a high-gloss paint to larger flowerpots for a chic, modern feel.
Tip: Use raffia to make bows, then glue them around the pot to add texture. Or, squeeze a line of glue onto the painted, dried pot, and wrap strands of raffia or ribbon around it.
Look 3: Decoupage
Glue pieces of paper, pictures and other thin materials to indoor flowerpots to add a personalized, unique touch. Applying a glue medium will give the finished product a painted, rather than glued-on effect.
Embellishment Tip: Accent your pots even further with felt flowers, beads, acorns, pinecones or even old leather belts.
Gifting Tip: For an outdoor-inspired gift idea, fill a flowerpot with some essential gardening tools and a few rolls of seed tape, then bundle it up with a homemade gift tag.
What’s your favorite way to decorate flowerpots? Tell us all about it in the comments section below!