By: Liz Elliott
Here are some homemade toys to help you entertain the cat in your life. Find supplies around the house, assemble or decorate the toys and have the whole family enjoy the playtime.
1. Homemade Cat Scratching Post
Does your favorite feline friend need somewhere to sharpen her claws? Try this easy DIY scratching post — all it takes is four supplies:
Twine or Sisal
*Tip: The size of your board will depend on where you want to hang it. A great size to start with is about 4 inches wide by 12 inches tall — you’ll be able to hang it easily from a doorknob or sofa arm.
- Start by squeezing a line of glue along the top of the board and laying the twine over it
- Wrap the board with the twine, adding glue each time around
- Continue wrapping and gluing tightly until you’ve almost reached the other end of the board. This is when you would want to add a twine loop for hanging
- Cut a shorter piece and glue a loop to the top of your board, then finish wrapping to hide the ends
- After about 20 minutes, the glue should be dry. Sprinkle some catnip on it, and hang it on the door or sofa arm
Tip: Wood glue takes some time to dry, so use rubber bands to hold the twine in place as you wait.
Tip: Give your cat a fancy place to snack with our DIY pet placemats.
2. Repurposed Sock Toy
What cat doesn’t love a toy with catnip in it?
Tall baby sock
- Take one baby sock, insert a simple bell and fill with catnip
- Tie the open end of the sock in a knot
3. Cat Fishing Rod
Keep your cat busy while you relax by crafting a fishing rod perfect for entertaining them.
- Create a pom-pom by wrapping the yarn loosely around your four fingers on one hand
- Tie the center together with another piece of yarn, then cut the loops so you have a pom-pom with lots of yarn ends
- Add wood glue to the end of the dowel, then wrap yarn around it. Leave about 2 feet of yarn hanging, then cut and tie the end to the pom-pom
- Let the glue dry for about 20 minutes
I’m co-founder of Craftbaby.com with my pal Candie. Whether it's painting office walls pink (home decor), chasing after a messy toddler (parenting), creating knock-offs because we're too cheap (DIY), or cooking without wheat so we don't get puffy (recipes) - we'll share it with you on our blog. Come connect with us!